5 – Open question
5 – Open question
Here is a list of questions similar to the ones asked during the test.
Express your opinions and supporting reasons in clear, coherent English.
Open questions from the 2018 database
- How often do you fly?
- What types of aircraft do you fly?
- Which plane or planes do you prefer and why?
- How long have you been flying?
- What types of planes are you mainly interested in? Commercial? Private? Military? Why?
- What do you think about flying a helicopter? Would you like to try?
- When did you start flying?
- What do you most love about flying?
- What do you most dislike about flying?
- In which regions do you fly?
- Can you please describe your first flight?
- Do you fly alone or with passengers, and which do you prefer?
- What’s the most difficult thing about flying?
- How long did it take you to learn to fly?
- What is your opinion about aerobatic flights? Is it difficult?
- What’s the best aerodrome you have ever visited and why?
- Which is the worst aerodrome, and why?
- What do you think of pilots working for a charity organisation such as Doctors without borders?
- Can you describe an occasion when you encountered turbulence? How did you
control the plane?
- Which are the worst weather conditions in which you have flown? How did you
cope with that?
- How do you stay calm when flying in difficult situations?
- What’s the longest distance you have flown as a pilot? And as a passenger?
- Is there a dream destination which you would like to fly to? Why?
- What are the medical requirements to be a pilot?
- What do you think about low-cost airlines such as Ryan Air and Easy Jet?
- What do you think about the project to re-introduce the Concorde for commercial flights?
- What is your opinion of Richard Branson’s plan to send people into space with Virgin Airways?
- Do you prefer to use the old methods of navigation when flying or more modern SATNAV gadgets?
- Can you explain what ‘bird strike’ is?
- What things can you not take on-board a private plane?
- What’s the time delay between drinking and flying?
- Do you think that commercial airline security is tight enough? What would you change?
- Would you agree that flying is the safest form of transport? Why (not)?
- What would you do if your landing gear didn’t release?
- ‘Flying as a hobby is only for the rich’, they say: do you agree and why (not)?
- Have you tried a glider? Why would you (not) like to?
- What aspect do you find most difficult about radio communications when flying? Accents? Vocabulary? Radio interference?
- Would you be interested in becoming Air Traffic Controller? Do you find it a difficult job?
- How many hours of experience do you need to be a really competent pilot?
- What are the differences between night-flying and day-flying?