Readability scale and test procedures
The following readability scale is used to classify the quality of the transmissions:
Readable now and then
Readable but with difficulty
When a test transmission is made, it should take the following form:
- identification of the aeronautical station being called;
- aircraft identification;
- the words “RADIO CHECK”; and
- the frequency being used.
Replies to test transmissions should be as follows:
- identification of the station calling;
- identification of the station replying;
- information regarding the readability of the transmission.
Test: Greenville Tower, OO-ABC, radio check 118.925
Reply: OO-ABC, Greenville Tower, reading you 3 with disturbing sharp sound
or: OO-ABC, Greenville Tower, you are unreadable